1. Objective of the Scholarship Program
Many families in our home towns in Sri Lanka struggle to provide good education to their children. Even though every child gets basic educational needs from the Sri Lankan education system, many talented children fail to achieve their real potential because of the lack of financial support from their parents. As we all know, it is a struggle in Sri Lanka to live a decent life for a lower middle class and poor family. Many children who demonstrate greater skills in areas like education and sports cannot afford to continue with only support from parents. Most of these talented children could potentially achieve much higher goals if they get some additional financial support. The whole purpose of this program is to identify and support these children to achieve their educational, sporting and carrier goals during their early stages at school.
2. Who gets the benefit
Sponsors for the program may introduce possible candidates for a scholarship for consideration to the panel of sponsors. Possible areas of considerations in selecting a suitable candidate are,
- High achievers from year 5 scholarship who does not get enough financial support to complete his/her studies from a good school
- High achievers in GCE O/L
- Final year students in GCE A/L
- High achievers in a particular sports area
- Families who struggle to send children to school
3. Why this program
There are many group and individual projects to support victims of the long war. But, many from our own villages suffer without any support from anyone. Our program identifies such areas and also provides the opportunity to our sponsors to give something back to their hometown in Sri Lanka.
4. How does it work
It is only one year minimum commitment of monthly AU$20 from a sponsor. It goes to a common fund we have setup in a Sri Lankan bank account to provide scholarships. SriMithuru fully controlled the bank account transactions. Sponsors can contribute monthly AU$20 to this common fund or pay AU$240 as a lump sum at the start of the year. Sponsors have the opportunity to nominate candidates from their own home town or school to the pool of candidates. The application form to be filled by candidates can be downloaded from below links. We adopt standard selection criteria to select candidates. Priority will be given to sponsors in the order they joined the program
- Selected children will get Rs. 2500 monthly, for the entire year. Their progress will be monitored via possible ways and every effort will be made to make sure that funds are used towards the intended purpose.
- One scholarship will run only for a one full year under normal conditions. It may be renewed purely with the decision of the panel of sponsors depending on the achievements of the scholar at the end of the year.
- However, the sponsor, who introduced the child to the program, if he/she is willing, can continue to support the child for many years through the fund. Only continuing sponsors will have this option. Example: If I select a child from my school, at the end of the first year, I can continue to offer this to the same child or another child of my choice at this same school, as long as I provide regular contribution to the fund after the first year. This will become my project; however funds will be going through the SriMithuru Scholarship Fund.
At the end of financial year Scholarship budget is presented during annual general meeting and everyone welcomes to participate as noticed through email and web site.
5. How to monitor the progress
We can get some feedback from the family or the child in these areas
- Ask to write letters about their educational progress/achievements, and get it certified from their class teacher/principal
- Special things they have done with the support of the scholarship
- Make closer links with them via telephone or email wherever possible
- Prepare a survey sheet that the scholarship receiver can fill and send to us for evaluation
- Any other possible means
6. How to join the program
Just talk to one of our friendly volunteers of the project. They are happy to explain it further.
Jayantha Warnakula - 0423 576 226
Bandara Nawarathna - 0433 301 941
Udayasiri Senarath - 0447 273 048
Janath Gunasekara - 0411 200 895
Prasantha Hapuarachchi – 0430 278 718